Processor Scheduling Questions
Usman
2011-08-10 19:27:21 UTC
Hey,

I have a few questions from the Scheduling Notes

1) Slide 4
How do we exactly calculate the length of the ith CPU burst from the
given formula. What values do we consider for alpha? More so are we
calcluating the ith + 1 busrt length of the entire thread or just for
the i'th one, because in the formula we add (1-X)Bi, where Bi is also
the predicted length.

Does this mean that we calculate/predict the entire threads burst length
at the start?

2) Slide 12/13
The MFQ's Im still not sure whats the purpose of it.
When it says that a newly ready thread goes into queoe 0, does that mean
it will be exectued last or first. Moreso how to do u know which queue
to send the thread in. also when a thread in level i is prempted and
goes into level i+1, whats the point of that?

Thanks
Sukanta Pramanik