A3 Complaint
Aseel Al Dallal
2011-07-22 05:28:21 UTC

Before I start, I'd like to thank Professor Salem for all the extra help
he gave us even though he didn't have to.

My group and I have been working on Assignment 3 for more than a week now.
We have attended the tutorial sessions and went to several office hours.
The assignment is just so difficult that we don't feel like we're actually
learning anything. I literally feel like we have been thrown into the sea
with this assignment.

Assignment 3 feels like a game of trial and error. No one I talked to
seems to understand whats going on. Although I have a clear idea of the
concepts, translating them into code is extremely difficult. Is it
possible that this assignment is weighed less, or an extension is given,
or something is done about it?

I'm quite sure I'm not the only student feeling this way. The reason I'm
actually complaining is that I have legitimately been working on this
assignment for a while. I did not leave to the last minute, and yet, here
I am the day before not even close to finishing and extremely confused.

I hope you take this message seriously,

Aseel Al Dallal
uabdulla

Aseel Al Dallal
Eric Suen
Aseel Al Dallal
Calvin Lam
2011-07-22 23:51:55 UTC
Agreed. Not to mention we got only less than half the time given for
Assignment 2 for this assignment as well. Rather than extension, I
prefer to have a lower weighting for this assignment.

Calvin
Post by Eric Suen
I also agree.
Hi,
Aseel Al Dallal
cs350
2011-07-22 23:53:35 UTC
It would help if you explained what made this assignment so difficult for
you as compared to A2.

It seems to me that A2 is a much longer assignment, in which the students
have to learn how a lot of existing os161 code works and how to adapt it.
In particular, one has to become familiar with using the uio/vfs functions
and with the code that enforces MIPS address space constraints. Otherwise,
it is impossible to implement filesystem syscalls and fork, for example.

I think that this term's version of A3 requires very little additional
knowledge.

-Alex
Post by Eric Suen
I also agree.